InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:34 pm 
Surfer

I know that buffalo calamari is very good, although you can not eat to much. Also they have some nice variety of wings as well. Good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:03 pm 
Surfer

So it's not in "Long Beach" but just wanted to remind everyone that Pete's Clam Bar opened for the season today. I can't wait to go there again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

mzsocialworker1 wrote:
So it's not in "Long Beach" but just wanted to remind everyone that Pete's Clam Bar opened for the season today. I can't wait to go there again!

I've only been there once, a very long time ago. I'm not much of a big clam bar person, but I do enjoy a good seafood restaurant. Have you eaten in the restaurant portion recently? I'm wondering if it's any good these days.

I'm waiting and wondering when Molly's might ever ultimately open down here in the West End - I'm pretty sure they've now been building it for almost two years! :)

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:44 pm 
Surfer

Actually, we've only eaten in the restaurant part (although I always go for something with clams) and it's pretty decent. Whenever we have friends/family come visit us in LB, they often request to go here. We were going to go last weekend but it wasn't open yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:31 pm 
Surfer

Funny enough in all my years all twenty nine of them anyways I have yet to eat in the actual restaraunt portion of Peters. I have always been more into the casual side of the place. April 15th, two things: Taxes and fried clams at Peter's. Summer is on its way! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 am 
Surfer

We tried the "clam bar" part on Friday night and it was really good. I got a grilled salmon sandwich and just picked the clams from my fiance's plate. (I know there must be a gazillion calories in all that fried food LOL).

I don't know if it's like this all the time, but they only accept cash on that side. Luckily between the both of us, we had enough cash, but I tend to travel only with my debit card when I go out to dinner. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up (although I think I saw an ATM machine in there).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Heh - good heads-up on the cash-only. When I was last there (many years ago) - to the restaurant portion, it was cash-only. It was also a first-date. Being that I've relied on credit card since credit cards were invented, my cash-on-hand that night wasn't going to pay the check.

So, I had to leave the girl, race up the street to an ATM and come back w/ cash.

Yes, of course there was a second date :)

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:14 am 

Duke Falcons..... no contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:20 am 
Site Admin

We used to go to Dukes until we had an odd experience there with some meat that wasn't properly cooked and they didn't seem to quite know how to handle the situation. Mistakes happen anywhere, but it turned us off and we haven't been back for a while. We do always here consistent positive comments about Duke's and the food was always very good.

I think they just need to be a bit better at running the business aspect of their restaurant.

We'll give 'em another try :)

mrk

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:16 am 
Beach Bum

The question was "What's your favorite LB restaurant"
And you said:
KJOY983Mike wrote:
Duke Falcons..... no contest.

I think that Duke Falcons is ok, but not at all MY favorite LB restaurant, and not by a long shot.
I never had a bad meal there either, but it certainly has a long way to go to be my best...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:14 pm 
Beach Bum

I would say Cafe Laguna, I would go there often if it weren't so expensive.
We ( my husband and I) can never get out of there with out spending about $125.00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:31 pm 
Beachlover

Molly's Fish House, Nagahama Japanese Restaurant, Swingbellys for Bbq ribs, Paddy McGees, Nick Diangelo's, Duke falcon's are all pretty good.

Sugo's was very poor. You could miss that one.
Café laguna was Hit and Miss also, and very expensive
Minnesota’s was for the single loud crowd, I can't take the music they play there.
Whales tale, on the fence. But a fun place to go in the summer time
Pancho’s, full of noisy Kids
Sutton Place full of noisy adults
La Rioja, just OK, I can live without it.
Paddy McGees, pretty good if you like seafood as I do
Coyote Grill, eh!
Gino’s Great Pizza
John Henry’s Pub, the jury is still out.
Matto’s, Great if you can get in, it's always very crowed.. If you can...go there

A Taberna, & Peter's Clam Bar, both in Island Park, I can do without very easily

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:45 pm 
Beach Bum

I've eaten at Lola's, not bad but not great either. The mussels are decent, and the roast beef (or what they call steak) was a loser.
More upscale, if you go to Island Park Jimmy Hays steakhouse on Austin Blvd is pretty decent, as long as you're not expecting NYC-quality steakhouse, and you are aware that it's expensive.
My fiancee & I have often enjoyed the crepes at Fresco on Park Ave. It's a nice place to have breakfast at but nothing more than that.
Molly's Mediterranean Grill, Nagahama Japanese Restaurant, Swingbellys Bbq, Duke falcon's, Paddy Mc Gees, Nick Diangelo's are all pretty good.
Shogun, a Japanese restaurant on Long Beach Road. Very quiet (typical hibachi, like benihana), tatami table and regular seating. Typical Sushi, Japanese dinners, etc. Food was good, but far from great.
Matteo's is pretty good for family style Italian. But it's always very crowed.

My Girlfriend and I just moved to Long Beach a few weeks ago from the city as well. We had similar concerns.

There are a number of good places there - and if you get a car you will find wonderful places up Long Beach road all the way to Rockville Centre.

Baylover suggested "Coastal Grill." I ate there last night for the first time and really liked it. Nick D'Angelo's & Jimmy Hayes are also both great places.

The coffee house which is just eat of Long Beach road on Park ave I think is called Coffee Nuts. It's really cute and the people that work there are really nice.

As far as pizza is concerned, I happened to think Long Island has better Pizza than NYC.

Nick's Pizza in Rockville center is amazing and about a 10+ minute car ride from Long Beach. it's the same Nicks in Forest Hills queens which was voted 3rd best Pizza in NYC.

Gino's seems to be a staple in the community and great for a regular slice.

Pita grill is great for Falafels and healthier choices.