InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

how often do you sit and think, hmmmm, were should we go for dinner in long beach tonite? and why are there several places that we have gone to but had an experience we don't quite remember, so you try it one more time and then it all becomes clear very quickly..........

this story happens to be about josie's.

it's a great idea, the design is really cool and the food is okay but nothing special. HOWEVER, i don't get why being rude to your customers, turning on all the lights, shutting off the music before your last table has paid the check is acceptable?! it was a friday nite at about 11 and all we wanted was a nice relaxing dinner -- we got there around 9:30.

they never make us feel welcomed...and it pisses me off!

there are too many other places where we are treated well have to deal with this sort of crap....anyone else have an experience????

Last edited by stace on Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:21 pm 

Been there, done that (Josies)...... Can't say that I've ever had a bad experience at the Crepe place across from the movie theatre. Always good. Basic, but good... Sutton Place- I tried. I gave it 3 chances. Can't say that I have an interest in going back. Nothing great going on here... I speak for everyone in Long Beach when I say Alfredo's pizza in Point Lookout is sorely missed. Damn shame.

Post subject: Food and dining
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:56 am 
I eat out with friends and family at least twice a week. One of my favorites is John Henry's American Pub, across from the theatre. The service is quick, courteous and friendly. If you prefer to relax and not rush, just inform your server. They will accommadate you. The food is great especially the daily specials. I think I have sampled 80% of their menu and have never been disappointed. I HIGHLY recommend the specials. They are always delicious. Quite often I just meet friends for a drink and snack and sit at the bar and enjoy the soft backround music. It is also a good place if you have children. They have a kids menu also. They are open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner. Try it! You won't be dissapointed.

Post subject: Food and Dining
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:19 pm 
I agree with the post about john Henry's, they are very nice, cater to families and the food is great! the best kept secret in Long Beach is the Ocean Park Diner. The food is excellent, the staff is polite and accomodating and you can't beat the prices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm - I've actually never been to the Ocean Park Diner - I've been to most of the other diners/luncheonettes.

I'll have to check it out - thanks for the reviews - they're really helpful.

Michael

Post subject: John Henrys
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:14 pm 
A great place to feel welcome and comfortable. Food is great! Families and friends are so welcomed. The staff is always there for you. Definitely a place to enjoy. Atmosphere is comfortable for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:30 pm 

Hi all! I've only tried John Henrys once. I will give it another shot! For a nice casual dinner I love Billy's Beach Cafe and The Saloon down west! Great food,good prices and they never rush you! And Cafe Fratellis is great also. I agree there are so many restaurants in Long Beach now they should be happy to serve us! Any other places you all would recommend?

Post subject: Josies
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:59 am 

I was very surprised to hear of a bad experience at Josies. I have been there several times and found them ultra nice. The food and atmosphere is wond :D erful especially their tasters menu during the week.

A great find is Cafe Laguna on Beech and New Hampshire. It is like eating in Manhattan without the travel.

Happy summer!! I am counting the days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:10 pm 
Beach Bum

Quote:
how often do you sit and think, hmmmm, were should we go for dinner in long beach tonite? and why are there several places that we have gone to but had an experience we don't quite remember, so you try it one more time and then it all becomes clear very quickly..........

this story happens to be about josie's.

it's a great idea, the design is really cool and the food is okay but nothing special. HOWEVER, i don't get why being rude to your customers, turning on all the lights, shutting off the music before your last table has paid the check is acceptable?! it was a friday nite at about 11 and all we wanted was a nice relaxing dinner -- we got there around 9:30.

they never make us feel welcomed...and it pisses me off!

there are too many other places where we are treated well have to deal with this sort of crap....anyone else have an experience????

It's the same at Josie's New place..Gerrie's they never make us feel welcomed...and it pisses me off also

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 pm 
Beach Bum

lbeachmike wrote:
Hmmm - I've actually never been to the Ocean Park Diner - I've been to most of the other diners/luncheonettes.

Michael

The food is OK, the atmosphere is terrible, it's very depressing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Paula wrote:
Quote:
It's the same at Josie's New place..Gerrie's they never make us feel welcomed...and it pisses me off also

Yup - We've been to the new place as well, and same thing - they seem to want you to feel like shooting yourself. What's up with that? We actually enjoyed the food, but we just totally can't deal with the attitude.

I don't get it. Isn't rule number one of owning a restaurant (or any business) - Make the patrons want feel welcome and want to come back?!?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:34 am 
Surfer

Paula wrote:
lbeachmike wrote:

Michael

hahaha I totally agree. It's like they don't even try making the place look nice.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:48 pm 
Beach Bum

seabythecity.com wrote:
Paula wrote:
lbeachmike wrote:

Michael

hahaha I totally agree. It's like they don't even try making the place look nice.

To say that it's very depressing, is being very kind! I would say is's like a scene out of One Flew Over The CooCoo's Nest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:11 am 
Surfer

One thing that I worry about here in Long Beach is the fact that some of these places survive based on "location" and not by "quality."

For example, I lived in the city near St Marks and a pizza / bagel place opened up right down the street on the corner of 3rd ave and St marks. It had what was possible the worse pizza and bagels I've ever had in my entire life, but the place was always crowded because the location.

Some of these places in Long Beach seem to survive because they get the same crowd going to them year after year and it's just good enough. They have no incentive to improve or make their place nicer or better. I am speaking mostly about the diners. I love diners and have been to a ton across the Island and the metro area and the diners we have here in Long Beach are below average.. i'm sorry, but it's true. Now I just moved to the area about a year and a half ago and I still haven't found a diner that I love and want to visit when friends come into town. So far the only decent local ones I found aren't even in Long Beach - Jo Jo Apples in Point Lookout and Dee's in Island Park. What's it going to take to get the local Long Beach diners to step up their game?

I'm going to use this as a post on my blog, but discuss here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:12 pm 
Beach Bum

lbeachmike wrote:
Paula wrote:
Quote:

Yup - We've been to the new place as well, and same thing - they seem to want you to feel like shooting yourself. What's up with that? We actually enjoyed the food, but we just totally can't deal with the attitude.

I don't get it. Isn't rule number one of owning a restaurant (or any business) - Make the patrons want feel welcome and want to come back?!?

Some times a place gets to buzy for their own good...By that i mean they are nice and friendly when they first open but as they grow and get busy, they don't want to know you anymore.
Gerrie's is a great example of that.