InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Sugo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Tricky to review this one -

Food was actually quite good, but the atmosphere was confusing - not laid back and comfortable. We got a sort of mixed vibe from the staff.

With a few tweaks, this place could be great, but it's just not our style at the moment in terms of atmosphere.

I'd be interested in hearing other perspectives from anybody who's been here.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:19 pm 
Surfer

How timely! We just ate there tonight with friends. I really liked the food (I got the gnocci) but I hear ya on the atmosphere. It was like they were trying really, really hard to be Manhattan. Also, and this is nothing huge or anything, but the scented Pier 1 candles on the tables we could probably have done without. Just a little bit overpowering. Other than that, no major complaints. Our waiter was very attentive. Dessert was yummy too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yes - they definitely have some very nice desserts!

We also got the "we're really trying to pretend we're in Manhattan vibe" - and on the night we were there, we felt like most people were out-of-towners, coming to/from the train perhaps. I like when a place feels like a Long Beach place.

Some restaurants have managed to get a nice hip vibe, without subtracting the local LB feel as well. Speakeasy is probably a good example of that.

We went near when they first opened, so there may also be many differences between today and when we were there.

I should note that in the summer, we tend to stay in the West End more (where I live) and like to eat outside where possible.

Anyhow, I think Sugo should open up the wall in the front so that you can see inside the restaurant from the street and vice versa - I think that would give it a warmer feel.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

btw, MZ, was Sugo crowded when you were there? i'm curious if they're drawing a crowd.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:49 pm 
Surfer

It was quiet when we first arrived, but there were people waiting to be seated when we left. I've also walked by several times where it appears crowded. I would probably go here again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps we'll give it another shot.

Thanks for the feedback :)

mrk

Post subject: Fixed Price
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:08 pm 
Beach Bum

We tried the fixed price meal here lasy week.
It came with 3 different prices, we did the 29.95 one, it was ok, but samml.
Will I do it again........?????? Maybe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:40 am 
Surfer

I liked this place and the owner was extra nice to me so I will definitely try again. For Italian food, it's a nice break from the other Italian restaurants in the area. Sugo's dishes were different, but good. Expensive though ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Admin

We didn't prefer the atmosphere here, but we did like the food. We will definitely check it out again one day soon.

They definitely get credit for probably being the only restaurant in town that has a more unique menu with something different than the usual.

If you've noticed in LB, it's almost as if every place has the same menu! There's no originality - there's no where you can go for a change of pace from the usual.

Sans Minnesotas, actually. They get slightly more creative for a bar/grill restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:39 pm 
Surfer

admin wrote:
If you've noticed in LB, it's almost as if every place has the same menu! There's no originality - there's no where you can go for a change of pace from the usual.

Yeah I agree. it's great if you want a slice of pizza, a burger, or even a bagel! we definitely need more variety. I wish we had some healthier choices as well...
I love a burger and fries as much as the next guy, but I'm getting older and my stomach is getting bigger... haha

Post subject: Re: Sugo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am 
Beachlover

I've tried it here only once and was not crazy about it...there is something about this place and the owner?host whoever he is that turns me off. But to be fair, I haven't been here in a long time.. Maybe it's better now?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

seabythecity, i definitely agree that a healthy style place or a place that served the usual LB tidbit sandwich and also had GOOD healthy choices. it's hard to say when you are not in the restaurant business but i don't understand why that is difficult.

michael - i felt the same way when i went to sugo. the food was pretty good from what i remember but the atmosphere and owner where what turned me off. my last visit was when they first opened. i think i'd try it again but generally i've found it's best to stick with my gut instinct. problem is, this isn't manhattan, so you tend to give places a few extra tries. more times than not, the first experience is the same as the second and third.

Free delivery for 11561 - enter code: FREELOCAL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 am 
Beach Bum

stace wrote:
seabythecity, i definitely agree that a healthy style place or a place that served the usual LB tidbit sandwich and also had GOOD healthy choices. it's hard to say when you are not in the restaurant business but i don't understand why that is difficult.

michael - i felt the same way when i went to sugo. the food was pretty good from what i remember but the atmosphere and owner where what turned me off. my last visit was when they first opened. i think i'd try it again but generally i've found it's best to stick with my gut instinct. problem is, this isn't manhattan, so you tend to give places a few extra tries. more times than not, the first experience is the same as the second and third.

I think that the owner here at Sugo's needs to get some good advice on how to run a restaurant. Many people I run into seem to feel that although he may try, he need to go back to the school of Etiquette!
Order taking, and listening to what his customers are saying. Never ask the open ended question. “how is everything" It sounds like you read that in a book of What to say and ask!
But the main problem that I have found here is the improper service training.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:58 am 
Beachlover

admin wrote:
btw, MZ, was Sugo crowded when you were there? i'm curious if they're drawing a crowd.

mrk

When I was there it was very , very empty. Maybe 2 or 3 tables at the most

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:19 pm 
Beach Bum

We tried it twice, the first time we had very bad service, so we gave it a second try...we wern't too happy either ..