InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Lola's
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:56 am 
Beachlover

After reading Lola's adds and reviews in Newsday my girlfriends and I decided to go try it out..
They offer a flight of 3 martinis that was very impressive looking but not too large.

Last edited by Judy on Sat May 09, 2009 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:53 pm 

I had already read the other reviews, but felt that I should give this place a shot. It was obviously doing a fairly brisk business, maybe these people just had a bad day. But if you would judge from our meals they must be having consistently bad days. After ordering our drinks and an appy we waited about 40 minutes for our dinner to arrive. This is something that usually doesn't bother me as long as the wait staff attends to my beverage needs. After having to stalk our waitress she finally brought me a beer right before our dinner was served. I ordered the Tuscan Chicken which was stuffed with prosciutto, red peppers and provolone. My wife ordered the Marinated Grilled Shrimp. The presentation of both dishes were nice and both were nicely sized. However, the flavor and cooking of the meal fell far short of adequate. When I attempted to cut into my Tuscan chicken I knew I was in for a bad meal. I had to use my knife to getthrough an extremely tough piece of meat. The chicken was so overcooked and dry as to make chewing a challenge. Whatever provolone cheese had been present had clearly been cooked out of the dish because I couldn't find it. The Prosciutto was bland and chewy as well. The roasted potatoes were under seasoned. The sauteed spinach was adequate but just adequate. My wife was enjoying her grilled shrimp served with a stack of mozzarella, tomato and portobello mushroom. Until she got to her last piece of shrimp, the meal was good. This was of course the piece that I tried in her dish, it was overcooked and dry, she did defend the dish beyond that shrimp. I however had to question that. However, she agreed that the last part of her meal was not at all the best thing she had all week. There are many other restaurants in the Long Beach area which I suggest you try before this one.
One for example that never is bad is Duke Falcons. Nice place ane it was just expanded, and the service is always good as well as the food.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:01 pm 

We are long beach residents who decided to check out lolas. We met a friend at the bar and 10 others were planning on meeting there. The bartendar was soooo rude and nasty ( some guy with dark hair) that all of us cancelled our food order and left the place... The manager was nice enough to inquire but we decided to go to a place we knew we would be treated nicer and visit regluarly. BIg loss for them that night. We said we would never go back but we did. Food was so/so - nothing special - much perfer Nicks, coastal and dukes....We love long beach and the people here and i was stunned how nasty this guy was..... :(

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:27 am 
Surfer

Wow, I hear so many mixed reviews on Lola's!! I am scared to give it a try!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:29 pm 
Beach Bum

seabythecity.com wrote:
Wow, I hear so many mixed reviews on Lola's!! I am scared to give it a try!

Don't be scared, just don't come in hungry.