InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: My Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 am 
Beach Bum

Cha Ba Thai‎ 12 W Park Ave.
Ate here last night. Had Tom Kah Gai coconut milk soup, Steamed Mussels w/ basil and lemongrass , and Mixed Seafood w/ Ginger Sauce. Everything was delicious Great flavors ,beautiful little place and good value. Will go again.

Swingbelly's in Long Beach for barbecue - simply fantastic. Go on Thursday's they have $1.00 spareribs.

I'm not a big fan of The Point Lookout Clam Bar, I found it to be not terrible but everything is pretty average, nothing is cheap. Everything is served on paper plates with plastic silverware. I'm not a snob, but I don't like paper plates... No bargain here. Parking is a pain at busy times,lines can be long and hovering like a vulture to claim a table as people vacate is no fun at all. The view is more parking lot, garbage chute or bathroom then bay. Jordan's is a much better choice for seafood or Bigelow's for great fried clams and soup. At Jordan's you can call in your lobster order, pick it up when you arrive, supplement with some items from the clam bar and grab a table by the water.

I found Five Guys to be incredibly disappointing. After its hype and its accolades, I was expecting a great burger. Instead, I got a burger that was utterly forgettable. Seriously, even walking out the door, I felt full, but had already blocked out the memory of the taste.

For fine dining, it's Caffee Laguna, or Jimmy Hayes, both are very expensive, but very good. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for.

Post subject: Re: My Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Swingbelly's - We've found the atmosphere, owners, people all to be great there. We do wish they'd expand or change up the menu a bit. We've never been on a Thursday night for the spare ribs, but sounds great - we'll have to check it out!

Caffe Laguna - We've found Laguna to be inconsistent (aside from overpriced) - this has not been your experience?

By the way, where is Bigelow's?

mrk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm 
Beach Bum

lbeachmike wrote:
Swingbelly's - We've found the atmosphere, owners, people all to be great there. We do wish they'd expand or change up the menu a bit. We've never been on a Thursday night for the spare ribs, but sounds great - we'll have to check it out!

Caffe Laguna - We've found Laguna to be inconsistent (aside from overpriced) - this has not been your experience?

By the way, where is Bigelow's?

mrk

Laguna has a new chef, he has only been there about 2 months and he is really very good.
Bigelow's is in Rockville Centre, the peoblems there are.. Counter seating only, no tables, and all they do is FRIED Food.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:50 am 

Sugo... the food was fair, the price fixed meal is a good buy, but you get what you pay for.

Nick Di Angelo's... This place is pretty good but I found it NOT to be consistant,,it runs hot and cold

Coastal Grill, same goes for this place, when it's good, it's really good, but when it's not...it's really not. But the service is always very good here.

Swingbelly's... Large plates of very good ribs, that's about all I've ever tried here.

Caffe Laguna... To expensive for me.

Minnesota's..
I only go there in the summer, the noise at the bar could give you a head-ache.

Lola's I can't see the hype here. I tried it twice, and that was enough.

Steven's pasta... For pasta it's fine, but you can do better in any real Italian restaurant.

Matto's... Great food if you can get in. They won't take reservations and it's always crowed.

Yummy, Yummy, it ain't so yummy to me.

Nagahama Japanese Restaurant...... The best Japanese Restaurant in Long Beach and surranding aeras

The Saloon... has really good Burgers and Ribs. But it can get really noisy during the summer.

Duke Falcons. Very good food, service and the prices are afordable.

Molly's Fish House.. Good food and service, kind of expensive.

The Inn.. It's ok for a beer or 2 if you are under 25.

Kawasaki Japanese Steak House .. If you are celebrating a Birthday and want a "Show" only Otherwise, forgetaboutit.

The Whales Tail.. Gives you great food if you don't mind the mad house scene and the rush.
I like Billy's Beach Cafe for a fast burger.... Paddy Magee's, The Coyote Grill in
Island Park are also very good

I hope that answered some ones questions.
Nice Forum...I'll be back again soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:19 pm 
Surfer

Paula wrote:
I found Five Guys to be incredibly disappointing. After its hype and its accolades, I was expecting a great burger. Instead, I got a burger that was utterly forgettable. Seriously, even walking out the door, I felt full, but had already blocked out the memory of the taste.

F

yeah I agree. I generally don't run out for a burger because I'm getting older and need healthy options, but I had to give it a shot. I thought it was incredibly greasy and thought the fries weren't that good. I actually through them out because I felt myself getting sick while I was eating them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

seabythecity.com wrote:
Paula wrote:

F

yeah I agree. I generally don't run out for a burger because I'm getting older and need healthy options, but I had to give it a shot. I thought it was incredibly greasy and thought the fries weren't that good. I actually through them out because I felt myself getting sick while I was eating them.

I say, if you're going to eat unhealthy greasy food, you've gotta make it count. It's gotta be serious kick-ass amazing to overdose on grease and fat ;)

mrk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:37 pm 

I tend to go outside of Long Beach frequently.
Mostly to Island Park, Rockville Centre and Oceanside.
With that being said:

Sole: Oceanside. Good food, it was a really busy at one time but it isn't any longer..the crowds kept me from going back more often And his prices have really gone up. This place is impossible to have a conversation with your dinner partner on a Friday or Saturday night. And you are seated right on top of your neighbor's table

George Martin's RVC... Great Food, Very highly priced.Although the food and service were great,the restaurant is extremely noisy

Franks Steaks .. A good place for steak that won't cost you an arm and a let, they have lots of other good dishes here as well.

Dodici: Excellent for Italian food, I never had a bad thing here. I love it.

Da Ugo's Also very good but very expensive, and the service is great. They kind of give better service to the regulars here a bit too much.

Greek Town If you want a place strictly for the food and price, here it is.. but don't expect any atmosphere, because there isn't any.

La Parma Italian Restaurant
This is my favorite family style restaurant. It's even better than Matteos is.

Taiko My one and only place for Japanese food, great for for sushi and they also have a regular Japanese menu as well.

Jimmy Hays A very high end steak place,.but the service and decor did not match the price. The prices are like a Manhattan restaurant.. The last time I was there the place was empty and my waitress could not be found. Maybe she got lost . I think for their prices, they are way overrated. I ate there twice and wasn't so thrilled with the food. I did love the gargonzola bread.

Paddy Mc Gees Great view of the bay. Cold seafood appetizers and dishes were delectable. Service is a bit slow, Sunday Brunch, slightly expensive.

Pancho's They put the Best chips and salsa on the table! The marinated skirt steak, on its own or as an item in a taco, burrito, salad, or anything, cannot be missed! The Mexican Shrimp always done nicely. Too many kids shouting ..

Mitchells in Oceanside: Not only is the food excellent, but would you believe they serve homemade ice cream along with homemade toppings! Some call this place a diner, but obviously it's more than just a diner .

Last edited by laura on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:27 am 
Beachlover

I've been to Jimmie Hayes before and I was not too happy. I came here after craving a really good steak and seeing the relatively good reviews on another wbsite I decided to give it a shot.
The food here is okay at best. But I didn't think it was worth the high prices that they get here.

I do agree with the other poster that Dodici's is excellent for Italian food, I never had a bad thing there either. They are much better than Matteo's
And I also agree that Paddy McGees is super for fish and shellfish. The singles nite (I think it's Thursday) is a good time NOT to go if you want to enjoy your meal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:46 am 

Michael wrote:
I've been to Jimmie Hayes before and I was not too happy. I came here after craving a really good steak and seeing the relatively good reviews on another wbsite I decided to give it a shot.
The food here is okay at best. But I didn't think it was worth the high prices that they get here.

I too love jimmie hays but I found it to be much too expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

laura wrote:
Michael wrote:

I too love jimmie hays but I found it to be much too expensive.

I thought that in addition to be too expensive, it was entirely overrated - in other words, less than amazing. It wasn't bad - it just wasn't amazing. I was expecting amazing.