InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:59 pm 
Beach Bum

Nothing bugs me more than when I go into a restaurant and see a sign or a notice on the check that says "No Credit Cards Accepted or No Tips allowed on Credit Cards" Or even when they say they request cash for tips!

I'm fully aware that they pay a few points to the credit card company, but what the hell, this is the cost of doing business.
I happen to use my company's credit card that I am allowed ot use as mush as I wish to. And I'll be darned if I'll patronize any place that won't allow me too.

Give us al break and don't embarrass us and do these stupid things that only makes you NOT want to go back.. because I won't go back.

Last edited by Long Beach Old Timer on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:15 pm 
Beach Bum

I'm so glad that you started this topic, it's a pet peeve of mine also.
It has been a new policy of one of the places that I've been going to for years...but no more only because of this new policy.
There's a fee built into everything and we all know it, if I order a cup of coffee that cost the owner 25 cents, and pay $2.50 for it, I don't complain, so don't nickle and dime us over tipping on credit cards. At restaurants, i go to regardless of how casual or fancy, ... If they say no tipping on credit cards, I do so anyhow and just don't return there anymore.
If they won't accommodate me, I won't patronize them! It's as simple as that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Personally I always leave a cash tip - this has little to do with the resturant, but benefits the hard-working humans who took care of you. I've never waited tables, but I do appreciate the people who bust their ass to do so to make a few bucks - so I show my appreciation.

As far as a resturant not accepting credit cards at all, that's just bad business. People will spend more money if they can put it on their card. And I did once go on a first date, where this surprise came to me at the end of the meal - I had to leave the girl and go out to an ATM machine .... embarrassing circumstance at the time.

Good thing you guys don't live in Brooklyn - this is commonplace across much of Brooklyn.

mrk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:42 pm 
Beach Bum

lbeachmike wrote:
Personally I always leave a cash tip - this has little to do with the resturant, but benefits the hard-working humans who took care of you. I've never waited tables, but I do appreciate the people who bust their ass to do so to make a few bucks - so I show my appreciation.

As far as a resturant not accepting credit cards at all, that's just bad business. People will spend more money if they can put it on their card. And I did once go on a first date, where this surprise came to me at the end of the meal - I had to leave the girl and go out to an ATM machine .... embarrassing circumstance at the time.

Good thing you guys don't live in Brooklyn - this is commonplace across much of Brooklyn.

mrk

Sorry to disagree, but this has NOTHING to due with what you have said.
The restaurant DON'T want to pay the small discount percentage that they pay to the credit card company. It's purly greed on the owners part, it has nothing at all to do with the server. I appreciate the server as much as anyone else... And I show my appreciation as much as anyone else... I never tip less than 20 % And often a bit more than that.
PS... I did live in Brooklyn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

I agree on not accepting cards. I accept CC for my biz. I don't even think twice about the discount rate. It's a nominal amount and is not significant.

Re: Cash tips - the server gets paid immediately, there are possible tax implications, and they don't have to rely on a third party to slice things up. It's to the benefit of the server.

I pay for everything on CC, I leave a cash tip. It's just about the only thing I use cash for. Most people are appreciative.

mrk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:45 pm 
Beachlover

I don't care for that policy either. If I want to tip in cash that should be MY choice I should not be asked to.
Sorry, but that's my opinion and I feel very strongly about it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Michael wrote:
I don't care for that policy either. If I want to tip in cash that should be MY choice I should not be asked to.

Ah, okay - I do agree with you on that. I don't agree that anybody's hand should be forced. There's a reason we are bestowed with free will.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:20 pm 
Beach Bum

My husband is the same way, he won't go back to a place that won't accept tips on a card.

I tend to agree.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

DonnaG wrote:
My husband is the same way, he won't go back to a place that won't accept tips on a card.

I tend to agree.

It just occurred to me - I don't think that Amex/MC/Visa policy permits this practice. For example, they do *not* permit a minimum for credit card purchases. It is in violation of their merchant terms of service. And you can file a complaint with Amex/MC/Visa if a merchant will not accept your card under such circumstances. If you feel strongly about the tip exclusion, you ought to look this up or give Amex or MC or Visa a call to inquire on this policy.

mrk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:36 pm 
Beach Bum

Michael wrote:

I agree with you 100 percent, I won't go to a place like that. Some times these places get a bit to dictatorial!!