InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 am 
Beach Bum

Don’t make me ask you 10 minutes later should encourage top quality food and service ..
We have too many restaurants to choose from to be treated poorly.
If we patronize you, then we expect you to accommodate us. And don't be afraid to apologize for a mistake, by taking it off the check or redoing it.
I will be polite when returning an entree, and I expect you to be polite when I do.. Don't argue with me, just do it. Iam the paying customer and I want to be satisfies.
Don’t make me ask you 10 minutes after my food is served for pepper, ketchup, or a clean fork or a knife. etc. Be there to make sure I have everything .
Another thing I hate is when a waiter cant remember of write down who get the dish in his hands. Instead they ask, “who ordered the burger" ...If you have a good memory fine , if not, just get a pen and paper.

And PLEASE don't ask me a million time if "everything is alright"! ASK ME ONCE AND IF i FIND OUT IT'S NOT, I'll TELL YOU.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:17 am 
Beachlover

Very good advice.

Another one that bothers me is, if I pay in cash, don’t ask if I need change. It is presumptuous, on the part of the waiter/waitress to ask or to expect that he or she will get the change... Bring me the change and I will decide.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:50 am 
Beach Bum

What I really hate is when a waiter or waitress pickup up your unfinished drink and asks you if you want another one!
Then I have to say, "I'm not finished with that one yet." :evil:
I know that they want to push drinks add up the amount of the check but if I'm paying $8.00 or $10.00 for a cocktail, let me finish it...please!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:48 pm 
Beach Bum

As a server/waiter myself, I'd like to comment/respond to your comments.
Long Beach Old Timer wrote:
Don’t make me ask you 10 minutes later should encourage top quality food and service ..
We have too many restaurants to choose from to be treated poorly.
If we patronize you, then we expect you to accommodate us. And don't be afraid to apologize for a mistake, by taking it off the check or redoing it.
I will be polite when returning an entree, and I expect you to be polite when I do.. Don't argue with me, just do it. Iam the paying customer and I want to be satisfies.
Don’t make me ask you 10 minutes after my food is served for pepper, ketchup, or a clean fork or a knife. etc. Be there to make sure I have everything .
Another thing I hate is when a waiter cant remember of write down who get the dish in his hands. Instead they ask, “who ordered the burger" ...If you have a good memory fine , if not, just get a pen and paper.

And PLEASE don't ask me a million time if "everything is alright"! ASK ME ONCE AND IF i FIND OUT IT'S NOT, I'll TELL YOU.

Diners DO have a ton of choices - however, both guest and server both deserve to be treated with respect. When I am working, if there is a problem with the food, I ask no questions except to find the problem and have it fixed as soon as possible. Sometimes mistakes happen. I have also seen some people that just decided that they are not hungry any more or that they just didn't like it and send the food back. However, they are far and few between and we just accommodate them like everyone else.

When bringing the food to a table, if it is a food runner who does not hand out the dishes in the correct order, it is possible that the server did not enter the order correctly (in the order that is should be served). You are correct, there is not need to 'auction off' food at the table.

Rule of thumb for good service (my version of it) is to check back with the guest 2-3 minutes after they begin their meals to make sure everything is ok and then to let the guest be (with the exception of observing an empty glass that may need refilling during the meal). Most if not all problem with a dish will be discovered in the first minute or so.

Michael wrote:
Very good advice.

Another one that bothers me is, if I pay in cash, don’t ask if I need change. It is presumptuous, on the part of the waiter/waitress to ask or to expect that he or she will get the change... Bring me the change and I will decide.

I agree - a server should not be presumptious. However, some servers may just lack tact.

When I pick up a check, I like to say "I'll be right back with your change".

If they do not want change, they will let me know usually right there and then, which is very beneficial to me if it is a very busy night. Every step counts and needless trips back and forth can help put a server a few steps behind.

Expanding on that note - if you require something - try and give all of your requests to the server all at once if possible - there is NOTHING worse than a table that asks for something, and then when you bring it over they ask you for something else, and so on. Have a little consideration. You are likely not the only table the server is responsible for.
James wrote:
What I really hate is when a waiter or waitress pickup up your unfinished drink and asks you if you want another one!
Then I have to say, "I'm not finished with that one yet." :evil:
I know that they want to push drinks add up the amount of the check but if I'm paying $8.00 or $10.00 for a cocktail, let me finish it...please!

You are correct. The server should offer another cocktail and leave that one unless/until it is obviously empty. Sometimes though, the amount left is negligible and easily mistaken. We do not necessarily mean to take it to "push" another drink. We have managers, bosses etc. We are just trying to keep on top of things by clearing empty glasses etc. Some servers/bussers may get a little over zealous.

Also, I have seen some guests get angry that their plate which they finished 5 minutes before their wife/husband/etc is still in front of them. In some places we are not supposed to clear plates until everyone is done eating. You do not want the only person with a plate in front of them to feel rushed or uncomfortable. On the other side of the coin, the same restaurant may need to get the plates washed and ready to have food on them again post haste - it is a fine line.

Everyone in the transaction should be treated with respect. And I don't want to start a tipping debate, but I truly believe that 20% is the appropriate tips for satisfactory service. Servers do not get a paycheck and upwards of 40% of tips gets dispersed to the supporting staff. We are all there to accommodate you!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:05 pm 
Beach Bum

tophbobby, I'm happy to see you agree with the above advice, but there should be NO BUTS about it..
A waiter/waitress should NEVER take away ANYONE'S empty play while there is anyone who is still eating... There are no exceptions to that.

Also you say, "there is NOTHING worse than a table that asks for something, and then when you bring it over they ask you for something else, and so on. Have a little consideration. You are likely not the only table the server is responsible for.

You are right BUT! I'm sure that people don't do that intentionally, people have questions and they don't make a list of them to prevent the server of making 2 trips.

You also say "Diners DO have a ton of choices - however, both guest and server both deserve to be treated with respect."

I don't know what you mean by that but, Of course both guest and server both deserve to be treated with respect.

I think that the Owner has to think MORE about accommodating his customers. We do accommodate him by walking into his restaurant. He should appreciate that and do what he can to satisfy his customers. I am by no means saying he has to kiss their behinds, but be a bit grateful for their giving him their business.

I am very critical of anyone that takes advantage of their server. However I do expect a server to do their job correctly. When I am paying the prices that I do for a good meal, I expect the service to be good as well. In fact I would return to a restaurant because of good service as fast as I would for good food. And visa versa is the service was bad.

Also you said "I have also seen some people that just decided that they are not hungry any more or that they just didn't like it and send the food back."

I have done that at times ONLY because I have become disgusted and just wanted to leave.
But if things are handled properly I will certainly give them a second chance. But do it right with a smile and an apology.

Thanks for a good post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:42 pm 
Beach Bum

tophbobby, I'm happy to see you agree with the above advice, but there should be NO BUTS about it..
A waiter/waitress should NEVER take away ANYONE'S empty play while there is anyone who is still eating... There are no exceptions to that.

You will find servers/bussers that have never been taught correctly, IMO.

Also you say, "there is NOTHING worse than a table that asks for something, and then when you bring it over they ask you for something else, and so on. Have a little consideration. You are likely not the only table the server is responsible for.

You are right BUT! I'm sure that people don't do that intentionally, people have questions and they don't make a list of them to prevent the server of making 2 trips.

Someone once told me that anything said after 'but' is bullsheet :wink: :wink:

Anyhow, I didn't mean 2 trips - I meant 3,4,5,6....spending 10 uninterrupted minutes on one table as 5 others suffer.

You also say "Diners DO have a ton of choices - however, both guest and server both deserve to be treated with respect."

I don't know what you mean by that but, Of course both guest and server both deserve to be treated with respect.

I was mentioning that because there are those who are seemingly rude and nasty to servers/bussers etc and treat them like "the help" if you know what I mean.

I think that the Owner has to think MORE about accommodating his customers. We do accommodate him by walking into his restaurant. He should appreciate that and do what he can to satisfy his customers. I am by no means saying he has to kiss their behinds, but be a bit grateful for their giving him their business.

I am not following you - if you go to a restaurant, sit down, eat a meal and leave with no issue - that sound sounds like a successful transaction. Is the owner supposed to offer something above and beyond a good product (good food, good service)? And I am not being sarcastic here - but both parties are benefiting, right?

I am very critical of anyone that takes advantage of their server. However I do expect a server to do their job correctly. When I am paying the prices that I do for a good meal, I expect the service to be good as well. In fact I would return to a restaurant because of good service as fast as I would for good food. And visa versa is the service was bad.

Agreed.

Thanks for a good post
Thanks for letting me join the discussion.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 am 
Beach Bum

Quote:
Someone once told me that anything said after 'but' is bullsheet :wink: :wink:

Anyhow, I didn't mean 2 trips - I meant 3,4,5,6....spending 10 uninterrupted minutes on one table as 5 others suffer.

Your response was fine until the above.. I'm pretty certain that very, very few tables request you making 3,4,5,6. Trips!

Also I'm sure you as a waiter are a bit bias in your above post.
Also as far as the Owners are concerned, I feel little attention should be paid to the recruitment of qualified,experienced and good waiters. By a good waiter I mean one who is smart, has a pleasing personality & good manners. Instead rude, argumentative and greedy waiters are being inflicted upon unsuspecting customers. And believe me I have experienced more than a few.. Whenever I have encountered rudeness, I choose to leave or to disarm. On my patient days, I have actually asked waiters if they were having a bad day or was it just my good fortune to be shown to their table. With a smile. Most waiters apologize right away; some say that they were tired; but good service flows from that point on. You will be amazed what such disarming questions can do to humanize a person seen by others as a ‘waiter’ and no more! Some are of course shameless in which case I walk out and complain to the manager on the way out. I think everyone should be smart courteous and pleasing when accepting MY hard earned money. .

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 am 
Beach Bum

DonnaG wrote:
Your response was fine until the above.. I'm pretty certain that very, very few tables request you making 3,4,5,6. Trips!

I believe my response was fine, all the way through. With all due respect - it happens. Obviously a table that has you running back and forth 3 times happens more than one that has you coming back a 4th or a 5th, but it happens. And I am pretty sure that I am MORE certain than you as it is my job.

DonnaG wrote:
Also I'm sure you as a waiter are a bit bias in your above post.

I thought I gave a pretty fair and balanced response, and I don't think I was biased in the least bit. Hell, I agreed with half the things the OP said.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:29 am 
Beachlover

Thank you tophbobby - for giving a solid answer that will really help us diners. I try and tell the truth when asked.