InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Zoning Calendar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Does anybody know of a simple way that we can track the zoning calendar and zoning schedule of the City?

I think it would be great if we could post the items up for proposal on the zoning calendar on a regular basis to try to keep people better informed of what is going on, or what is being proposed.

Any volunteers out there who might want to help with this particular effort?

Thanks.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:43 pm 
Beach Bum

Hi Mike, Try the Long Beach Herald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

glodee531 wrote:
Hi Mike, Try the Long Beach Herald.

Thanx for the suggestion; however, I've learned that the postings are generally in either the Herald or the Tribune. Apparently the recent issue I was interested in was announced in the Tribune.

I'm looking for a volunteer to religiously track the monthly issues on the zoning calendar and post them here so that they might get some better exposure, discussion, etc.

Thanks.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:16 pm 
Why ever bother...the Zoning Board is a sham!

Rocco Morelli and his cronies will bend over backwards to grant every variance under the sun to sleaze like Sun America but when it comes down to the nice guy who only wants to raise his fence line by a foot, Rocco has the moxie to lay down the law and site the code to explain why the Zoning Board would never approve such an outrageous request.

Call me crazy...but if you are going to stand in the way of a one foot fence line then it only makes sense to squash 98% of what was granted to Sun American on the Atlantic Hotel.

The Zoning Board exists for cosmetic purposes only. It has no concept of the zoning rules and regulations or policy and procedure to protect the continuity of Long Beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:57 am 
Site Admin

If you do in fact believe that to be the case, then I think this is a good forum to discuss ways to foster positive improvement. I know there are politics in every town, and I understand your frustrations. After all the primary purpose of a zoning board, as I understand it, is essentially to protect the members of the community from unregulated development.

In your own circumstances, if you are indeed legally correct, then your available remedy would be to utilize the legal system to resolve your issue.

Although I might not agree with some of the decisions made by the City, I do feel that there is lots of evidence that demonstrates how successful they've been in continuing to improve so many aspects of this city during the eleven years I've lived here.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:40 pm 
Although I might not agree with some of the decisions made by the City, I do feel that there is lots of evidence that demonstrates how successful they've been in continuing to improve so many aspects of this city during the eleven years I've lived here.

I've been living here just about the same amount of time as well and while I agree with your statement I still feel the Zoning Board, in and of itself, refuses to say "Enough is enough...request denied!" That is where my frustrations lay.

I speak on both the past democratic administration and on the present republican administration when I feel that the over development going on has become a free-for-all and the Zoning Board whose purpose is to essentially to protect the members of the community from unregulated development has failed over and over and over again.

I'm all for positive and productive change but when Rocco is reappointed, as he was at the last City Council meeting, then all I can do is throw my arms up in the air and wonder why even bother...

Post subject: RE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:17 am 

I think a Zoning schedule would be a great idea, to keep everyone informed on what's going and coming.

If someone was interested in pursuing a business proposal for in the city of Long Beach, how would one find out about zoning regulation? (assuming you won't be able to find it out in this discussion forum)
Or how would one find out about available property and if it can even withhold the type of operation you're trying to run in Long Beach?

Any tips or suggestions??

Thanks all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Admin

For the Zoning schedule, the Zoning board itself has to have the agenda for their calendar. I'm not quite sure when this information becomes available, and it usually does change a little bit because various applicants might not be ready or might request adjournments for strategic reasons. However, if we could have somebody simply get in touch with the City of Long Beach Buildings Department, and speak with the person who handles the zoning calendar, we could pursue getting the information regularly.

We could then post it in the forums monthly, and also on a separate zoning calendar page when the new and improved InsideLongBeach.com website is ultimately launched.

However, posting in the forums would be great for discussion purposes, and sufficient to act as a convenient reference.

Technically, any zoning board petitioners - anybody who is filing to come before the board to be heard - also has some requirements to advertise/list their proposal in a local paper, or in certain circumstances to notify neighbors within a certain proximity. I'm unsure of the exact local statutory requirements, but again this would be a good question for the City of LB person who handles organizing the Zoning calendar.

If you'd like to volunteer to look into this for everybody, City of LB can be reached at 516-431-1000 and you can simply ask to speak with the Buildings Department and/or the individual who handles the zoning calendar.

Thanks!

Mike