InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:58 pm 

We are forming a new West End community activist group because we are fed up with the handling of the West End by City Council and the "West End Neighbor's Association".

The City Council has a bad habit of forgetting us West-Enders, our community and our lives, putting the East End's needs along with personal and political agendas first.

First order of business - May 3rd at 8Pm at City Hall, they will be voting on whether or not to demolish the old Fruit Stand at 1055 Beech and put in a municipal parking lot.

This parking lot is useless, an eyesore and its only objective is to generate revenue for LB by giving out parking tickets and making the West End a parking lot for the more attractive East End.

What about giving incentive to businesses i.e. retaurants or shops to open on the West End instead of having these open lots and stores making the West End seem desolate and unwelcoming.

Or how about a dog run? The LBPD have been actively ticketing dog-owners who bring their dogs down to the beach for some much needed recreation. We, the West-Enders live in very small bungalows where it's extremely rare to see a yard. The only way for our dogs to have fun and to exercise, is to take them down to the beach. If, of course, you are caught on the beach with a dog, you receive a $50 fine...no leash or license on top of that and it's $25 for each additional offense. Some residents will argue that dogs shouldn't be on the beach for health and safety reasons. Well gee - isn't that another reason to have an enclosed, unused area of land dedicated to being a dog run? That would mean a decrease in dog excrement on the beach, sidewalks and streets and finally our dogs can go to a safe place to socialize and play - a site that is rare to see in the West End.

Oh - back to the East End being more attractive than the West End - why are there more flowers and trees planted in the East End?? Why are our beach entrances old, littered and falling apart?

Why is the Pennsylvania Avenue sign spelled incorrectly???? Yes - they spelled it Pennslyvania Avenue

Post subject: west enders
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:59 pm 
How can people find out more about it?

Post subject: i agree
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:19 am 
wow - i really agree. always wondered why the west end wasnt in better shape. seems like beech st. could really be much cleaner and maybe actually quaint, w/ a little effort. i would like to know more about your cause. i live in e. atlantic beach. please post time, place of next meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:57 am 

Hi,

Love this idea ! I wrote to Denise Ford awhile ago about getting a dog run in the West End. No reply. Would love to help make the west end a more beautiful place, I love it. Please let me know what I can do to help.

Scott