InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: BBQ In L.B.!!! Big Eds.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:44 pm 
Surfer

Well it is about time that a restraunt that I can truley enjoy has come to LB! Myself spending some good amount of time in the deep south have come to very much enjoy some good Que. At this point in time I have not been able to get over that way to give it a shot but when I do I will let you know.

***** If anyone has been there yet let me know how it was ******

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Are you talking about the new BBQ place in the West End? If so, it's great! Really nicely done - food is excellent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:37 pm 
Surfer

Actually the one in the east end on the same block as East End Pizza next to Guy and Co. Hair cutters. Have still not got a chance to eat there yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Ah yes - I finally noticed it. It's amazing how hidden that spot can be, since I pass it so often but had not noticed. Looks nice - I'll have to check it out.

SwingBelly's in the West End is excellent - great food and the owners and staff are super-nice. It's located where West End Pizza used to be located.

It's really nice to see some more dining options in town.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:52 pm 
Surfer

I've been to both. Swingbelly's didn't have their liquor license when we went, and my fiance was disappointed because he had been working all day and wanted a nice cold beer with his meal.

Big Ed's, I think we went there opening weekend. The service really sucked. A bunch of young girls (like highschool age) were serving and kept forgetting about us. They forgot to bring basic condiments to our table like ketchup and butter and we had to ask several times. I am sure it was because it was opening weekend, but a bunch of other diners were pissy for the same reasons. It does create a bad first impression.

The food in both was just okay in my opinion. I am bias though, because I compare all BBQ now to Smokin' Al's in Bayshore, which is definitely worth the trip and the long wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

I've never been to Smokin' Al's - where in Bayshore is it? We used to go to Fire Island all the time and pass through Bayshore each weekend, but I don't recall noticing it.

I tend to compare anything in Long Beach with what we currently have, which is a collection of very mediocre restaurants. Over about 12 years here, it's improved, but nothing has ever been truly outstanding. So, I'm excited whenever a new place opens that is better than mediocre - or actually *good*

For *great*, I generally find that in the city or in Suffolk. There seems to overall be a shortage of *great* restaurants in Nassau, for whatever reason.

Swingbelly's has run into a lot of obstacles in their efforts to get their liquor license, but they are pursuing it and hope to have it soon. Yeah, it would be great to go and get a pitcher of beer with some BBQ over there.

For the most part, anything I've gotten from them has been excellent - out of about three or four take-out orders. And they are super-nice people.

I think they'll have the bar up and running soon enough. I only think they should expand/diversify the menu a bit and they'll have a great and popular place. I"m sure that will come with a little bit of time.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:12 pm 
Surfer

It's on the main street in Bayshore. I am sure if you do a quick google search it will come up. If you do go you will have to hang out at the bar for awhile (or go to the one next door, they'll come get you). We always have plenty of leftovers for the next day from there.

Yeah, I can definitely say that the food in LB is average at best. Are there any Indian restaurants in LB? I lived in Queens for like 6 years before moving here so I definitely miss easy access to Indian food!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:34 pm 
Surfer

After reading the above post's I thought it would be my turn to put in my two cents worth. Oh first as for mzsocialworker, I am sorry but to my knowledge there is no Indian places that I am aware of in LB but WISH there was. I too miss noshing on some great breads and tandori chicken!

Well to Big Eds... I myself did have a chance to have dinner there the other night, and would say that the BBQ is done rather nicely, the pulled pork was very juicy and with a good flavor not just smoke. They also do have a nice little bar that is well stocked and seemed to have some decent house drinks, the ribs were rather good as well. My only real food complaint was the cornbread was not as sweet as I would have liked it to be. Agreed that Smokin Al's is the flagship for LI bbq, but this place is a bit nicer with the decor.

Next up the service.... Well.... It was a bit off, as ms. said there was some kinks to be worked out (Teenage girl chatting staff) but nothing too major also the lady who sat our party was a little stressed and seemed overwhelmed by the crowds. Overall not a bad time,they just need to polish up the service end of things. With that being said this could be a keeper.

Would also be nice to see a good steak house in LB..

Post subject: Big Ed's BBQ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:21 pm 

Just tried Big Ed's...wow...great addition to Long Beach.
Food was amazing, staff so much fun! Had the best Mojito ever.
Blows Swingbelly's away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Best Mojito ever?! That's quite enticing.

I guess I know where I'm going for dinner tomorrow night :)

Thanks for the all the reviews and enthusiasm.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:11 am 

I went to Big Ed's last night..didn't see you there! Bartender made a delicious watermelon Martini. Enjoyed it with my prime rib . Great service...no more chatty teenage girls!
I've been to smokin Als too...great BBQ, but Big Ed's has larger selection...don't you think?

Post subject: Sold!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:59 am 
Site Admin

mollie - "best mojito ever" - you sold me!!

i really want to try this place, rarely do people get so excited about restaurants in lb!

we'll post as soon as we try it.

:lol: stace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:31 pm 
Surfer

I can not say for myself about the Mojito's but my friends at our table had ordered a round and said that they were fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

I stopped into Big Ed's for take-out and was very impressed with the place. And the food was great. I like that they have a very diverse menu. And the owners, and their daughter, are such great people! In fact, everybody who worked there was super-friendly and super-enthusiastic about the food - great to see!

They were very excited when I mentioned all the positive talk they'd been getting on the website, which is actually what got me to finally stop in.

So, I think we do have a winner. I think the best is yet to come.

Looking forward to dining in next time around.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:27 pm 
Surfer

Going there tonight, looking forward to a rack or two. Not looking forward to working off the calories in the morning jogging on the boardwalk.
Will post details of my night tommorow.