InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Breakfast anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:11 pm 
Surfer

It seems that there a lot of great posts on here for dinner but nothing yet for all the great breakfast places in Long Beach. So here is a go at starting a new thread, personally speaking I think that Ocean Park Diner on Park Ave. across from the train station has some of the better breakfast's in town.

1. The service is always prompt and polite
2. Food is always good and fresh
3. GOOD COFFEE (Drives many of us out of the house)
4. Same employees for many years now
5. Very clean inside ----

Basiclly overall a great spot for some fresh eggs and pancakes to start the day.

What your favorite spot(s) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hey LB - We've never found anyplace in LB that we are enthusiastic about for breakfast.

We were at Ocean Park once for lunch and did like it.

It's now on the official list to be visited for breakfast/brunch.

And re: good coffee - why is it that diner coffee is *always* mediocre to bad? Good coffee is always a plus.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Incidentally, off topic - and counterproductive to the goal of my very own website .... but for the best breakfast ever, if you're ever in the Carroll Gardens / Cobble Hill area, we've found Le Petit Cafe on Court Street to be pretty outstanding :)

I'd love to see a place like that in LB.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:36 pm 
Surfer

That is uptown near York and 80's?

It would be really nice to see a quaint, classy cafe style breakfast/panini type place in LB. A place where you can get a great plate of fresh fruit some eggs and a great hot espresso. Although this would never work here it would be fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

The p[lace I mentioned is in Brooklyn. It's sort of near Brooklyn Heights, sort of near Red Hook, if that helps.

It has the flavor of the kind of place you describe, although with the hip urban component added. So, perhaps not quaint, but it has lots of old-world and new-world charm.

However, I think about this frequently, and I believe that this sort of place *would* work here. I think it's what is missing.

If you look at what's around town, there is absolutely nothing that has real distinct charm. No place where when you go inside, you feel like you are someplace else. Not yet, anyway.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:02 pm 
Surfer

We've started riding our bikes down to the Long Beach Bagel Cafe once every weekend for bagels. There's usually a line out the door, but the bagels are great. We often get a table outside as well. They also have the 24 hour bagel place by Trader Joe's in Oceanside.

Post subject: Breakfast
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:13 am 

Hi guys, first time user here.

I do like Ocean's Park Diner, but if you're looking for something unique, I like the Crepe place on Park between Riverside and Long Beach Blvd. I think it's called Creperie & Cafe. They have a crepe called "The Complete" with eggs, gruyere cheese, and ham. Of course you can ask them to put other things in the crepes. Their sweet crepes are also fantastic...banana and nutella is my fav...only other crepe place i've ever been to was on the street in London.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Hey Mike - Welcome aboard.

In my 13 years here, I've never yet tried Ocean Park Diner for breakfast. I think I was there once for lunch and it was pretty good. I've heard a lot of good feedback on it.

Crepe place sounds like a nice change for breakfast. I've enjoyed everything else I've ever gotten there.

JoJo Apples in Point Lookout is supposed to be very good for breakfast. We went there for lunch and dinner and all has been quite good, but we haven't yet done breakfast there. Has anybody been there for breakfast?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:53 pm 
Surfer

So it is has been some time since my last post, but yes JOJO's is a great little change up for breakfast. It almost seems like a getaway even though it is only in PL but yes good breakfast, always crowded in the AM and good service as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It almost seems like a getaway

Absolutely! That's exactly the way I feel when I've been there.

For whatever reason, it seems ultra-relaxing compared to the current pace of LB, very friendly, and the good food.

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 am 
Surfer

I never thought of going to JoJo Apples for breakfast! I always go for lunch.

One thing that Long Beach lacks is one of those breakfast places that people flock to. You know, when you're on vacation and the guide book tells you to "go to this place for breakfast!!"

We need one of those places. Sort of like a diner, but not a diner. More intimate. I love diners but we have so many of them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

I could not agree with you more. There is absolutely no truly amazing breakfast place in Long Beach - the type of place that's known throughout the city to be "the place" to go - to be "the best breakfast around."

There is a place in Brooklyn called "Le Petit Cafe" that is truly outstanding and always has me imagining what it would be like to have a place like that here in Long Beach.

But it doesn't end with just breakfast - there are good places to go around here for lunch or dinner, but there is again not that truly outstanding place that you absolutely *must* go to if you live in or are passing through Long Beach.

However, there is no shortage of *must try* places in Brooklyn or in any corner of the city. We need one here in Long Beach. We are hungry!

mrk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm 
Surfer

Yeah, Like I said, I love Diners, but we need something a little different. I was in Seattle recently visiting my Wife's family and we went out of our way three days in a row just to go to this great breakfast place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

This is definitely the truth. Anyplace I've been outside of Long Beach has offered a great breakfast place - one where we've always thought "Wow! We've gotta go back there tomorrow." In fact on our last trip to Canada, the breakfast place we found was so good we had breakfast there every day of our trip.

There are a couple of consistently good places here in Long Beach. And there are also a couple of places offering obscenely priced weekend brunch.

Basically, we currently enjoy the best breakfast when we make it at home. Or if we drive out of LB.