InsideLongBeach.com

Your City, Your Voice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:00 pm 

There is a house nearby which has been empty for over two years and is falling apart on the outside. The roof shingles pile up on my front lawn whenever there is a strong wind, rain, snow storm, etc. There is no one to care for it when the weeds overgrow during the nice weather and no one to care for it when the snow and ice cover the sidewalk in front of the house. The backyard is horrible and the shed is falling apart and rotted, the fences between this house and ours were so bad, we finally replaced them and the fences between this house and the dwelling behind it are already down. While sitting on my tenant's stoop, people just come walking through the back yard as if it is a legal pathway. I have begged, pleaded, written letters, memos and emails, sent pictures...you name it. Long Beach doesn't even reply. I know if this house was anywhere near the homes of the long beach board members or "long beach's" important people, this house would have never looked like this for as long as it has.
The first thing my tenants and I see when we get up in the morning and the last thing we see when we go to bed at night is this eyesore. Considering the taxes long beach charges, you would think I would have the right to pleasureable enjoyment---a pleasing site to behold" rather than this monstrousity. I am never able to enjoy my back porch because the back of this house and yard (with crumbling fences and shed), poisons my vision.
What can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there Nurse -

I am also a property owner in LB, as well as a tenant in a small condo.

From what I've seen as a property owner, and overall as a resident for the last eleven years, my perspective is a bit different. I've actually found the City to be pretty responsive and generally proactive in most cases. I've watched lots of improvement along Broadway over the years (though I have concerns about future plans at Riverside).

From what I've seen, the City and the Buildings Department seem to be fairly responsive to ensure that properties are kept in good order. I'm quite curious of where the property you refer to is located.

My best suggestion is to contact the Buildings Department directly. From what you describe there sounds to be numerous very obvious violations on that property. You can actually visit the Buildings Department and ask to view the file for the given property to have a first-hand view at all of the information on file, it's history, etc. It might possibly be in some sort of legal limbo, whereas the ownership of the property might be the issue.

I'm not sure if you've already done it, but talk to the appropriate Building Inspector and view the file on the property first-hand. Then let us know what you find, and hopefully you'll either help to get those issues resolved or will find out what the obstacle really is.

Mike

Post subject: Building Dept
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:49 pm 
The Building Dept may be in a bit of flux now that the City Council is shaking out the rugs. One way to get something done on the neighboring property is to make a hefty donation to the LB republican committee. Then you might get some action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:09 pm 

This is typical of certain individual problems that are overlooked or ignored. Some people are afraid to complain beacause they fear reprisals in one way or another. What our community needs is one or more volunteer ombudspeople who can take complaints, forward them to the proper authority and then follow-up to it's disposition. This type of intermediary would make some people feel more comfortable by being able to discuss their concerns at greater length. They should also be able to remain anonymous if they so prefer.

Quite frankly though, given the present housing situation and building boom in Long Beach, I find it difficult to believe that a residential property in Long Beach has been vacant for 2 years regardless of condition or location.